These simple XOXO valentines day cupcakes are a perfect treat to make with your kids, simple enough for kids to decorate from start to finish and delicious enough for the whole family to enjoy.
XOXO Valentines Day Cupcakes
This recipe will yield 2 dozen regular size cupcakes.
For the cupcakes
1 cup unsalted butter
2 cups granulated sugar
4 large eggs
4 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups whole milk
3/4 cup Hershey’s dark cocoa powder
1 Tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1. Preheat theoven to 350 degrees. Grease and line cupcake pans with paper liners.
2. In a large mixing bowl, cream together the sugar, butter and eggs until a light and fluffy consistency.
3. Add the baking powder, salt and cocoa and cream together until smooth.
4. Add 1/3 of the flour and stir until well combined. Add 1/2 of the milk and blend well, slowly add another third of the flour and 1/2 of the milk again blend well. Add the remaining flour and blend well.
5. Pour the batter into greased and lined pans.
8. Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
9. Take our of the oven and let them cool for about 10 minutes.
10. Transfer cupcakes to wire rack for at least 30 minutes to cool completely.
For the icing
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter
3 cups powdered sugar, sifted
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
2 Tablespoons cold milk
Garnish- 1/2 cup Red Hots candies
1. Cream the butter in a mixing bowl.
2. Add half of the sugar. Mix well on medium speed with a mixer.
3. Add the rest of the sugar and mix on medium speed until light and fluffy.
4. Using a decorating tip and disposable bag or Ziploc bag, pipe the frosting onto each cupcake.
6. Garnish with red hot candies in the shape of X’s, O’s and hearts.